Total Pageviews

Monday, 18 February 2013

Over the finish line...

Continuing the horse metaphor, finally completed this batch of horses. Only needed about 45 minutes to get there, but I've got so hacked off with the tedious process of doing so many at the same time I've struggled to pick up a least I can intersperse some different stuff with the riders to keep things interesting!

Sunday, 10 February 2013

Plodding on...

Nearly there with my batch of 30 horses. Don't think I'll attempt this again; I've found the slow progress has really messed with my motivation. Just got iron bits to paint and bronze ornaments to highlight, and not forgetting the animal skins.

I've also taken a quick shot of the first batch of riders to go with these horses. These will allow me to expand my current unit of 12 Agema to the two units of 9 needed for Raphia.

Tuesday, 5 February 2013

A Horse! A Horse! - more Raphia WIP

Sorry, couldn't resist it! Somehow seems appropriate given the recent news regarding the finding of one of Yorkshire's Own ;-) There are thirty horses, to be precise.

Basic paint job finished on the horse flesh, still need to finish saddle blankets and tack. As you can see, I paint a number of different base colours and vary manes/tails, socks and blazes. The observant amongst you may have also spotted that I used three different primer colours to help build up the shading

I don't normally paint cavalry in this manner, as I generally attach riders to mounts prior to painting, but given my requirements for a total of six units of nine for the scenario, I decided to go a bit more "assembly line" in order to speed up the process.

I already have two units of twelve (one each of guard and line) and these will be adapted and reinforced so that I have two units of Agema and four units of line.

Sunday, 3 February 2013

Playing with Plastic

I've been messing about with Perry plastic Ansar tribesmen that I've been painting up as Arab allies for my Seleucid Raphia forces.

A bit of green stuff has been used on some of the less "Arab" looking figures (once I've removed their trousers!) to add the characteristic blanket wrap. Helmets have been pinched from some Victrix mercenary hoplites to give them a bit more of a Hellenistic look - remember, the rationale is that they've been bribed by access to the Seleucid armouries ;-)